10 Questions: ExP (Flame Griller)
Well hello there! Welcome back to 10 Questions, the shiniest interview show that’s never been televised! Each…week/month/year/when we feel like it/ we speak to some uber talented artists to find out more about what they do, why they do it, and what they’re up to as of late.
This time round we have Mr.Nice Guy himself, the supremely talented MC and producer ExP, who you may know from Flame Griller, alongside his stunning solo releases. He’s come all the way from West Yorkshire to be with us tonight, looking dashing in his bow tie and strippy socks. So let’s see what he has to say for himself!…
1) Contestant, what’s your name, chosen craft and where are you based?
Hi Jeff happy to be here. ExP. Rapping/producing/engineering/managing/getting angry about managing/going solo and Leeds, WEST YORKSHIRE: WY.
2) How would you describe your sound?
3) Who / what do you consider to be the biggest influence on your music?
4) What’s the proudest moment to date for you as an artist?
It's disappointingly a moment when I didn't rap, but was honoured with an invite on to Romesh Ranganathan's HHSML podcast (check it HERE).
5) Do you have any advice for our readers who maybe trying to play the mad game of music?
Stop using 808s and trying to sound like everyone else you bellend.
6) Name 3 people you would love to work with and why?
- Haitus Kaiyote cos they're f**kin sick. I have no idea how that would work but it'd be cool.
- Questlove cos he's the God
- Salaam Remi cos he's the Quincy Jones of our era
7) What have you got planned for the not so distant future?
I'm hoping to have a (kind of) remix album featuring beats by the amazing Norwegian crew Loop Holes out by the end of the year, beginning of next. There's a Flame Griller album in the (very slow) works, there's a third solo album in the (also quite slow) works.
8) What’s the album you’ve played more than any other?
This is still the same question as "what's your favourite album?" and it's therefore impossible to answer. Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall" has probably had the most plays in my lifetime (and "She's Out Of My Life" the most skips) and of late I haven't stopped playing Haitus Kaiyote's "Choose Your Weapon" since I first got it. I literally drive my wife mad with it.
9) What’s the best concert you’ve ever been to? And where?
Aside from my own (as I prefer to be on the performing rather than the attending side of concerts)...there was a Leeds fest where Buck 65, The Roots, Roots Manuva, Jurassic 5 and more played and Chali 2na and Roots Manuva did "Join the Dots" live together as they were in the same vicinity. Pretty special moment.
10) Name 3 things you can’t live without?
- My wife
- My dog
- My other dog
Bigup Ange, Herbie & Oscar!
Please can you nominate another contestant and provide us with a question for them on your behalf?
"You've been called "the nicest guy in hip-hop". Can I borrow a fiver?"
Any last words/shoutouts?
My other dog
PS> @ExPorBen is good for twitter, insta and facebook
PPS> Your host for tonight’s interview was Jeff, aka Vice beats.